Fitness, health, and wellness are too often confused with weight, but this belief is both troublesome and without merit. The number you see on the scale is just that: a number, without any insight into anything else. Not your happiness, not your health, not your speed, power, or flexibility—you get where we’re going with this. That’s why, at Vitruvian Fitness, our trainers focus on what we call “non-scale victories” (NSVs), milestones reached in the pursuit of health and performance that mean so much more than the number you call your weight.
NSVs can be any significant step along your fitness journey, such as getting better sleep, learning new skills, feeling more self-confident, or noticing an increase in muscle tone. One of the first questions we ask every new client is how we can help them achieve their goals; this enables us to aim for personal NSVs. Some of the most common goals are:
- to get stronger or more fit
- to get into shape for a specific sport, such as cycling or snowboarding
- to reduce or eliminate knee, back, or shoulder pain (or to complement the treatment they’re receiving from someone else); and
- to manage or minimize the impact and/or emotional stress of a health condition or illness (like depression, cancer, or Parkinson’s Disease).
In addition to celebrating NSVs, we might measure progress toward fitness goals using metrics like achieving all passing scores on the Functional Movement Screen or Power at Lactate Threshold. At no point do we measure your success by an increase or decrease in bodyweight. While weight loss may also be a goal, we find that it’s usually secondary to improving a person’s overall quality of life.
When we dig deeper into why someone wants to lose weight, we often discover that the issue is not one of weight itself, but of life-satisfaction, happiness, and health. Happiness is a hot topic these days, with new studies on the subject emerging all the time. Most experts agree on the traits that make genuinely happy people: positive relationships, free time, financial security (not to be confused with wealth), optimism, exercise, gratitude, giving of time, giving of attention, giving of affection, the pursuit of meaningfulness, and being in flow. Notice that weight is not on the list.
Health and happiness go hand-in-hand. The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” At Vitruvian, we embrace this holistic view of health, and believe that being healthy allows you the freedom to experience happiness and pursue a more meaningful life. NSVs provide insight into your progress toward cultivating a healthier, happier lifestyle.
Here are just a few examples of NSVs worth celebrating:
- Great blood test results and optimal blood pressure
- Looking and feeling more toned.
- Increased cardiovascular fitness and performance
- Better coordination and athletic performance
- Reducing or reversing the symptoms of serious health issues or diseases
- Higher energy throughout the day
- Positive attitude and confidence
- Being happier
- Fewer aches and pains, or even living pain-free
- How your clothes fit
- Better sleep
- Healthier appetite
- Better sex life
- New skills
- Personal achievements, like a record number of push-ups, pull-ups, etc
Say goodbye to watching your weight and hello to better health when you join Vitruvian Fitness. With plenty of personal training options and group fitness classes to choose from, getting fit has never been so simple—or so much fun! Call 303-455-0437, or click here to enroll today.